- The Council of Ministers for Foreign Affairs of GUUAM (hereinafter referred to as “the CMFA”) shall be the main executive authority of GUUAM that shall ensure and coordinate cooperation of GUUAM Participating States in the periods between Summits of Heads of GUUAM States.
- The Council in its activities shall be guided by the goals and principles of Yalta Charter of GUUAM, agreements concluded within the framework of the Grouping, decisions of the Heads of States as well as by this Statute.
- Ministers for Foreign Affairs of Participating States of the Grouping shall be members of the CMFA.
- Members of the CMFA or their authorized representatives shall participate in the meetings of the CMFA.
- Representatives of states, international organizations and structures, which have been granted observer status in GUUAM may participate in open meetings of the CMFA.
By common consent of members of the CMFA, representatives of other states, international organizations and structures may participate in open meetings of the CMFA as guests.
Goals and functions
- The main goals of the CMFA shall be:
- Elaboration of coordinated approaches to implementation of decisions of the Heads of States;
- Promotion, of development of cooperation of Participating States of the Grouping in foreign policy field, including interaction of their diplomatic services;
- Elaboration of coordinated positions of the Grouping with regard to foreign policy initiatives of GUUAM and interaction regarding cooperation of GUUAM with other states, international organizations and structures.
- The CMFA shall perform the following functions:
- Elaborate and present proposals and recommendations for meetings of the Heads of States;
- Counsel on draft agendas and decisions of meetings of the Heads of States;
- Monitor implementation and promote realization of decisions of the Heads of States and international treaties and agreements concluded within the framework of GUUAM;
- Conduct consultations in the field of foreign policy of Participating States of the Grouping with regard to matters of common interest;
- Facilitate exchange of experience and information in various fields of cooperation;
- Consider issues of interaction of Participating States at other international fora, including a possibility to put forward joint initiatives;
- Consider and settle other issues upon instructions of the Heads of States.
- The main goals of the CMFA shall be:
Organization of activity
- Meetings of the CMFA shall be held upon agreement of the Parties, but no less then twice a year, as well as on the eve of meetings of the Heads of States.
- Proposals on special meetings shall be put forward by the Chairman. Proposals on special meetings of the CMFA may be put forward before the Chairman by any Participating State of the Grouping.
- Upon proposal of one or several Participating States, meeting of the CMFA or discussion of certain issues may be conducted in camera.
- Agenda of meeting of the CMFA shall be formed on the basis of relevant decisions and orders of the Heads of States, proposals of Ministers for Foreign Affairs as well as of the National Coordinators Committee of GUUAM.
- Agenda shall be drafted by the Chairman and circulated to all Participating States.
Participating States may put forward before the Chairman proposals on amendment of agenda.
In the course of discussion of agenda during a meeting, any member of the Council may propose to include a new item into the agenda.
- Documents for consideration related to agenda items of oncoming meeting of the CMFA shall be circulated no less then 20 days before the meeting, except for summoning of special meeting of the CMFA.
- Documents of a regular meeting of the CMFA shall be circulated to Participating States of the Grouping by the Chairman no later then 10 days after the meeting.
- The CMFA may establish ad hoc working and auxiliary bodies for expert consideration of certain issues.
- Decisions of the CMFA shall be made by consensus; decisions on procedural matters shall be made by a simple majority.
- Decisions of the CMFA made in accordance with orders of the Heads of States as well as decisions on issues within its competence shall enter into force on the day of their approval, if the decisions do not stipulate for another procedure.
- Expenses related to meetings of the CMFA within the territory of aGUUAM Participating State shall be borne by the receiving Party; expenses related to delegations shall be borne by the Participating States.
- Working languages of the CMFA shall be English and Russian.
Chairman of the Council
- Minister for Foreign Affairs of GUUAM Presiding State shall be the Chairman of the CMFA.
- The Chairman, in coordination with members of the CMFA, shall ensure preparation and conducting of meetings of the CMFA.
- The Chairman or, upon consent, a member of the CMFA, shall report on the activities of the CMFA at the meetings of the Heads of States and shall act on behalf of GUUAM at international fora of relevant level.
Done at Yalta on 20 July 2002 in four copies in the English and Russian languages, all texts being equally authentic.