Declaration on Cooperation between
the Baltic Assembly and the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly
The Baltic Assembly and the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly express the will to establish a parliamentary cooperation between both organizations and set the directions, the common interests and forms of this cooperation.
The overall aim of parliamentary cooperation between the Baltic Assembly and the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly is to promote democratic, socio-economic and cultural development of the Baltic and GLTAM countries, contribute to resolution of the protracted conflicts in the GUAM area and to provide political support for regional cooperation from a wider European perspective.
Areas of Cooperation
The Baltic Assembly and the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly agree on joint priorities of cooperation.
Areas of special interest for cooperation include security and fight against new challenges to international security, political, economic, legal, environmental, cultural and educational development.
There are two main areas of cooperation between the Baltic Assembly and the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly. Each of these can be broken down into specific issues which can be addressed through joint forms of cooperation.
A. Cooperation on foreign policy issues
- Sharing experience of the Baltic States’ integration into the EU and NATO;
- Exchange of information and views in regard to the topicalities on the international policy agenda;
- Implementation of the EU neighbourhood policy;
- Promotion of democratic values in the region.
B. Cooperation on home affairs, sustainable development, energy, justice and regional issues
- Climate change and environmental protection;
- Labour market, social welfare, health care system;
- Local administration, regional policy;
- Cross-border cooperation, infrastructure and communication.
Forms of Cooperation
The Baltic Assembly and the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly have set the following modes of cooperation:
- The Baltic Assembly and the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly invite the representatives of each other to participate at the respective plenary sessions as well as to seminars whenever matters of mutual interest are discussed.
- The Baltic Assembly and the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly shall hold joint meetings between committees in case of necessity.
- Joint meetings of the Presidium of the Baltic Assembly and the Bureau of the GUANI Parliamentary Assembly. The Presidium of the Baltic Assembly and the Bureau of the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly shall hold joint meetings to discuss and agree on priorities for cooperation for two years period, and coordinated activities for joint work in related fields.
- The Secretariat of the Baltic Assembly and the Bureau of the GUAM parliamentary Assembly shall ensure the exchange of necessary information, coordinate their activities and preparation of documents, and shall assist the related structures of the Baltic, Assembly and the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly in implementing their cooperation.
Procedural forms of cooperation:
- When planning joint events, the Secretariat of the Baltic Assembly and the Bureau of the GUAM Parliamentary Assembly shall prepare a detailed programme of the event. The host organization shall distribute essential organizational information on the planned event not later then 1 month in advance.
- The number of participants (including experts) for joint events shall be agreed on by both organizations after assessing their financial possibilities and the participating organisations shall be informed thereof.
- Travel and hotel expenses to the joint events shall be covered by the participating organization.
Vilnius, 19 June 2009