GUAM Secretary General
On May 15, 2015, Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador of the Republic of Azerbaijan Altai Efendiev was commissioned to the post of the GUAM Secretary General for a four-year term starting on January 1, 2016, during the 25th meeting of the Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the GUAM in Bratislava.
Welcome message from Secretary General for website visitors
GUAM Secretary General Altai Efendiev
Mr. Altai Efendiev, the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
Date of birth: 21/02/1958
Marital Status: married with two sons
- M.S. in International Economic Relations, Kiev State University, Ukraine;
- Post-graduate study, the Institute of Oriental Studies, Moscow, Russian Federation.
- Other studies and programs:
- the Clingendael Institute of International Relations, the Hague, the Netherlands;
- MBA, City University Business School, London, UK;
- Senior Managers in Government Program, JFK School of Government, Harvard University, USA.
2016- – the Secretary General of the Organization for Democracy and Economic Development – GUAM;
2010-2015 – Ambassador Extraordinary & Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Azerbaijan to the Kingdom of Spain and to the Principality of Andorra;
2009-2010 – Head, Department of Economic Cooperation and Development, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
2004-2009 – Deputy Secretary General of the Permanent International Secretariat of the Organisation of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation;
2000-2004 – Head, Department of Economic Cooperation and Development, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Economic Adviser to Minister of Foreign Affairs;
1997-2000 – Economic Counsellor, Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan in London, UK;
1994-1997 – First Secretary (Economic & Commercial), Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan in London, UK;
1993-1994 – Head, Division of Bilateral Economic Cooperation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
1992-1993 – Second/First Secretary, Department of International Economic Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
1980-1992 – Researcher, Institute of Oriental Studies, Academy of Science, Baku, the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Lecturer on international economic relations at: Baku State University, Western University, other private institutions and senior manager courses.
Other experience record
- Co-chairman of the Sub-committee on Trade and Economy for the PCA implementation between the Republic of Azerbaijan and the EU;
- Member of the Azerbaijani-British Trade & Industry Council;
- Member of the Consultative Board of the Confederation of Entrepreneurs of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- Member of the Board of Directors of the ICBSS;
- Chairman of the delegation of the Republic of Azerbaijan to the Monterrey Summit on Financing for Development;
- Deputy Head of national delegation to the WSSD in 2002, Johannesburg, South African Republic;
- Deputy Head of national delegation to the World Summit on Water held in 2003, Kyoto, Japan.
Author of over 20 articles on economies of the developing countries, international affairs, economic development of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
English, Russian, Turkish, Spanish, French (med).
Statements, interviews, articles