Skip to content
Joint Press Release of the fourth GUAM-Japan Meeting, Tokyo, 19 February 2009
- On 19 February, 2009 the fourth meeting between Japan and the Organization for Democracy and Economic Development – GUAM was held in Tokyo, Japan. GUAM was represented by Mr. David Jalagania, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Georgia, Mr. Araz Azimov, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan, Mr. Oleksandr Horin, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, and Mr. Valeri Chechelashvili, Secretary General of GUAM.
- Within the framework of the 4th “GUAM-Japan” meeting, the representatives of GUAM paid a courtesy call on Mr. Hirofumi Nakasone, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, and had a policy dialogue with Mr. Shintaro Ito, State Secretary for Foreign Affairs of Japan and Mr. Nobukatsu Kanehara, Special Representative in charge of GUAM, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Both sides exchanged views on various issues of mutual interest, including trade and investment, tourism, and transportation as well as on cooperation in the international sphere including climate change, reform of the United Nations Security Council and peaceful resolution of conflicts on the basis of the UN Security Council resolutions.
- Both sides welcomed active and fruitful dialogues between Japan and GUAM which were conducted in 2008, including the “GUAM-Japan” ministerial meeting on 4 December, 2008 in Helsinki on the occasion of the OSCE ministerial council.
- The GUAM side highly welcomed Japan’s determination to support the efforts of countries aspiring to market economies and democracy under the concept of the “Arc of Freedom and Prosperity”. The Japanese side welcomed the opening of the new office of GUAM secretariat in Kyiv, Ukraine, which contributes to increasing capacities of GUAM for cooperation and expressed its readiness to consider possibilities to support the office.
- The GUAM side appreciated Japan’s strong initiative in organizing the “GUAM-Japan” workshop for investment and trade promotion, which was held on 1-9 February, 2009 in Japan. Both sides highly valued successful results of the workshop. As a follow-up to the workshop, the representatives of GUAM exchanged views with representatives of the Japanese business society during their stay in Japan. The GUAM side expressed its intention to continue making their efforts to expand economic relations with Japan.
- The Japanese side welcomed the initiative of the GUAM side in organizing the meeting of experts on tourism, which was held on 19-20 January, 2009 in Kyiv, in order to attract Japanese tourists to GUAM member states. GUAM and Japan expressed their willingness to take joint efforts to promote tourism among their countries.
- The GUAM side expressed their deep gratitude to the Japanese side for excellent organization of the 4th “GUAM-Japan” meeting in Tokyo and hospitality extended to the GUAM delegations.
- Both sides reaffirmed their strong intention to continue and strengthen “GUAM-Japan” dialogue and cooperation. In this regard, the date and venue of the next “GUAM-Japan” meeting will be coordinated through the diplomatic channels.