Skip to content
Joint Press Statement of the first GUAM-Japan Meeting, Baku, 18 June 2007
- On 18 June 2007 in Baky, Republic of Azerbaijan, the first Meeting between the Organization for Democracy and Economic Development – GUAM and Japan took place at the level of the GUAM Council of Ministers for Foreign Affairs and Mr. Mitoji Yabunaka, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan. The meeting was held in the framework of the Second Summit of the Organization for Democracy and Economic Development – GUAM in Baky on 18-19 June 2007.
- The participants welcomed the first meeting between GUAM and Japan, which share the fundamental values such as democracy, freedom, human rights, the rule of law, including norms and principles of international law, and market economy. The participants expressed their desire to further enhance dialogue between GUAM and Japan and welcomed the “Arc of Freedom and Prosperity”, the new pilar in Japanese diplomacy.
- During the meeting, both sides touched upon the main topics of GUAM – Japan political dialogue, including initiatives in strengthening democracy, increasing security and stability, developing civil society, international issues, inter alia, protracted conflicts, non-proliferation and human rights as well as deepening mutual support within major international organizations.
- The participants discussed cooperation in the sphere of economy. GUAM expressed its deep interest in investments of the Japanese side in priority areas of cooperation, including energy, transport, in particular corridor Europe – Asia through GUAM, and ecology. GUAM and Japan confirmed their intention to work towards business promotion and further improvement of the investment environments.
- Taking note of the mutual interest in the spheres of energy and ecology, and the well-developed energy saving technology of Japan, the Japanese side proposed to organize a workshop in Tokyo on energy saving technology for officials and researchers of GUAM countries in 2007. GUAM countries expressed their appreciation and cooperation for the workshop.
- GUAM and Japan also addressed the prospects of their cooperation in various humanitarian areas.
- The participants highly appreciated the hospitality of the Azerbaijan authorities and decided to coordinate the date and venue of the next GUAM – Japan meeting at working levels.