This Memorandum of Understanding («MoU») is signed between the Organization for Democracy and Economic Development – GUAM («GUAM») and the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations («UNAOC»), hereinafter referred to as «the Parties».
GUAM, as an inter-governmental international organization, aims to promote peace, security, stability and sustainable development in the region through the means of cooperation in economic, social and humanitarian spheres on the basis of norms and principles of international law, the UN Charter, the UN Global initiative for sustainable development and the OSCE key documents;
UNAOC, as an initiative of the United Nations, aims to build bridges between societies, promote dialogue and understanding, forge collective political will to address growing divisions between societies and restore mutual respect between peoples of different cultures, traditions and religions, inspiring them to mobilize behind concrete measures to achieve these goals;
GUAM and UNAOC agree to broaden and enhance their dialogue and cooperation, as well as maximize the effectiveness of their efforts to achieve their common goals and objectives in sectors of mutual interests, especially concerning the preservation of cultural diversity, prevention of polarization and extremism that could divide people and the promotion of tolerance, inclusiveness, integration and diversity to bring people together. The Parties in promoting and planning their activities will attach particular attention to youth.
GUAM and UNAOC wish to encourage intercultural dialogue and create conditions conducive thereto, with a view to improving relations between peoples of different cultures, religions and traditions to foster understanding, respect and cohesiveness, increase confidence and help to solve divisive issues.
The purpose of this MoU is to establish a general framework of cooperation between GUAM and UNAOC and to mutually benefit from and develop their dialogue and cooperation in areas of common interest and concern.
The areas for dialogue and cooperation shall include, but not limited to the following:
- drawing on mutual synergies and complementarities, develop cooperation in activities pertaining to the dialogue of cultures;
- fostering and enhancing the engagement of governments, civil society and other social actors in the work and principles of UNAOC;
- continued collaboration within UNAOC Group of Friends;
- inviting each other to meetings, lectures, workshops, and other events of mutual interest;
- cultural and outreach activities, including policy roundtables, forums, lectures, research on multiculturalism and tolerance, and other activities;
- other areas of international relevance as the parties may agree and find appropriate;
- wherever possible and appropriate, engaging the interested third parties and relevant international organizations.
This MoU will provide a framework for inter-institutional dialogue and cooperation between GUAM and UNAOC and will include, but not be limited to the following working principles:
- development of informal, regular bilateral consultative meetings as may be necessary from time to time;
- engagement in ongoing consultation and reciprocal sharing of information;
- exchange of experiences and best practices.
Each party will identify its own focal point, which will be responsible for coordinating the activities hereunder. Any changes concerning the focal point shall be notified to the other party as soon as is practicable. For the purposes of this MoU, the Parties hereby appoint the Director of UNAOC and the Program Coordinator of GUAM as their focal points.
Modalities for the cooperation will be further established by GUAM and UNAOC through further Cooperation Agreements, Memoranda of Understanding or exchange of letters, and could include specific arrangements, such as a framework for financial contractual relations between both Parties.
In the event that the Parties choose to sign separate project-specific cooperation agreements, these shall contain at least the following:
- the objectives sought and work product to be completed;
- the work plan, which shall include a chronogram identifying progress milestones and dates for completion of the final work product and interim work product;
- the budget, including the cost of technical supervision, administrative support, indirect costs or Institutional Net Rate (INR), identification of the resources required by the project, and the schedule of the contributions and;
- a provision recognizing this MoU as the framework governing the project.
In its reports, speeches, outreach materials and other publications, each party shall give due recognition to the other for the other’s contributions to the projects and other activities completed under this MoU.
The Parties shall hold annual meetings through their focal points in order to review this MoU and the activities carried out hereunder in order to assess, coordinate, revise and plan joint efforts as needed.
This MoU may be amended by written agreement of the Parties and shall remain in full force and effect until such time as either party notifies the other in writing of its intent to terminate it. Such notice shall become effective within thirty calendar days of its receipt by the other party.
Nothing herein constitutes an express or implied waiver of the privileges and immunities of the Parties, their personnel, and their assets, in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations, relevant agreements, applicable national law, or the general principles and practices of international law.
Any dispute that arises in connection with the application or interpretation of this MoU or any supplementary agreement, memorandum of understanding or exchange of letters, shall be resolved by direct negotiation between the Parties. The decision shall be final and binding and not subject to appeal.
The Parties acknowledge and agree that this MoU does not contain obligations regarding international law nor does it create financial obligations between the Parties.
The present MoU shall come into effect on the date of signature by the Parties and shall remain in force for an indefinite period of time. Should either party wish to terminate the MoU, it shall do so by means of official notification to the other party one month in advance. Early termination of the present MoU shall not affect the implementation and conclusion of any Letters or Memoranda of Understanding underway.
Done at New York, on 19 November 2018 in two original copies, in English.