The Resolution of the Parliament of Georgia
in support of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine
The recent aggressive actions implied by the Russian Federation against the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine, among them the deployment of the military forces and the threat of large-scale military aggression, poses a serious threat not only for our friend Ukraine, but to Georgia and the whole Europe.
In 2008 Georgia has become a victim of the Russian military aggression and the similar actions (The Issuing of the Russian passports, forming the illegal military formations, conduct of military trainings close to the state borders, the military intervention, justified by the protection of Russian citizens etc.), that resulted in the occupation of the two regions of our country and ethnic cleansing. Today Ukraine is under the same threat.
Considering the above-mentioned, the Parliament of Georgia:
- Fully supports the European choice of freedom-loving Ukrainian people, as well as the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine;
- Firmly condemns the violence of Russian Federation against the sovereign Ukraine and all the other actions carried out in violation of fundamental principles of international law and bilateral agreements;
- Appeals to the Government of Georgia to continue consultations with the representatives of the Ukrainian authorities and to provide humanitarian aid, based on need, to our brotherly Ukrainian people.
- Appeals to the government of Georgia to actively participate in the peacekeeping, humanitarian and monitoring missions under the auspices of the UN, the OSCE, the European Union, the Council of Europe and other international organizations in Ukraine.
- Calls on the Russian Federation to immediately withdraw all military forces from the territory of Ukraine, whose presence violates the international agreements, and to cease all actions directed against the statehood of Ukraine.
- Calls on the international community, primarily the European Union and the United States to take effective political, economic and diplomatic measures in order to assist Ukrainian people, to defend them from Russian aggression, to avoid armed conflict and achieve the de-occupation of Georgia.
- Recognizes the spirit of voiced addresses of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, international organizations and parliaments of guarantor-states of Ukraine’s security; particularly supports the creation of emergency group of negotiators for de-escaletion of the situation.
- Calls on the European Union and NATO, to accelerate the process of integration of those aspiring countries, which stand ready, including Georgia, whose free choice is increasingly endangered.
March 6, 2014 Kutaisi, Georgia