Skip to content
Совместный пресс-релиз 5-й встречи ГУАМ — Япония (in English)
- On 17 May, 2013 the fifth meeting between Japan and the Organization for Democracy and Economic Development (GUAM) was held in Tokyo, Japan. GUAM was represented by Mr. David Jalagania, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Georgia, Mr. Andrei Popov, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Moldova, Mr. Oleksandr Danyleiko, Director General of Economic Cooperation Directorate General, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, Mr. Gaya Mammadov, Head of International Security Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan, and Mr. Valeri Chechelashvili, Secretary General of GUAM. Japan was represented by Mr. Takeshi Hikihara, Special Representative in charge of GUAM, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.
- During their stay in Tokyo, the GUAM delegation was received by Mr. Katsuyuki Kawai, Chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs of the House of Representatives and Mr. Kenta Wakabayashi, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs on 16th, and Mr. Taro Aso, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance on 17th.
- Within the framework of the 5th «GUAM-Japan» meeting, both sides exchanged views on various issues of mutual interest, including tourism, disaster management, energy security and transportation as well as on cooperation in the international sphere, including peaceful resolution of conflicts based upon the norms and principles of international law.
- Both sides finalized the «GUAM-Japan» cooperation program which, at «GUAM-Japan» ministerial meeting on 7 December, 2011 in Vilnius on the occasion of the OSCE ministerial council, both sides had agreed to adopt.
- As a result of the meeting between GUAM and Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), it was decided that a possibility to hold a GUAM business seminar in GUAM region at a time convenient to both sides will be considered.
- The GUAM side appreciated Japan’s strong initiative in organizing the «GUAM-Japan» workshop for agriculture, which was held on 10-18 March, 2013 in Japan. Both sides highly valued successful results of the workshop. The GUAM side expressed their deep gratitude to the Japanese side for organizing transport seminar on 25-30 November, 2012 in Japan, as well as for organizing lecture on building, operation and administration of highways (GUAM Secretariat, Kyiv, on 27 March 2013). The GUAM side expressed its intention to make continued efforts to expand economic relations with Japan.
- The Japanese side welcomed the initiative of the GUAM side in organizing the tour of experts on tourism, which was held on 5-15 May, 2012, in order to attract Japanese tourists to GUAM member states. GUAM and Japan expressed their willingness to take joint efforts to promote tourism among their countries.
- The GUAM side expressed their deep gratitude to the Japanese side for excellent organization of the 5th «GUAM-Japan» meeting in Tokyo and hospitality extended to the GUAM delegations.
- Both sides reaffirmed their strong intention to continue and strengthen «GUAM-Japan» dialogue and cooperation. In this regard, the date and venue of the next «GUAM-Japan» meeting will be coordinated through the diplomatic channels.